• DrMike
    Big game this week if we want to get to a winning record. ISU is 4-5, 2-4 in the Big Sky. Their two wins are a 59-30 trouncing of Portland State at home and a 38-34 nail biter at home vs. Poly. This do have a win over Nevada, who is struggling but a FBS team nonetheless. They've had some games where they put up points, and have a solid run/pass attack (188/275 ypg). Sac put up almost 600 yards on them, 320 of them on the ground. So, hopefully, we can get the ground game going, to keep the passing lanes open. A big challange for us will be stopping the run and eliminating those damn big plays!
  • agalum
    Add to Dr. Mike's list - scoring in the red zone. I don't know what the stats are, but they must be terrible. For heavens sake, the towel boy knows that when CJ comes in he's going to run with it. The mad cow worked great against Portland, and that's about it. Put CJ in and let him hand off to a RB, or roll out and pass the ball.
  • movielover
    Redzone offense #83 in FCS. Lack of run game probably kills us there. ... I haven't been to practice, but we have an athletic 230 pound back who can throw the ball ...
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Imagine his stat line if we didn't become complacent and drop anchor when up 21-0?
  • CA Forever
    Yep, Jake easily could have broken the school record for passing yards in a single game if not for the whole team taking the foot off of the gas pedal.
  • movielover
    I was enjoying the crowd, the vibe, got food... Did we get complacent or think we were gonna bury them? Just a night and day switch. Hats off to Cal Poly.

If we have no legit option to get the run game going, go full hog on passing, uptempo, chuck it 70 times a game with guns blazing. Mix in West Coast. We've got a boatload of talented WRs.
  • agalum
    Idaho game notes and interview with their coach. Pick up the video at 10:13
    http://www.isubengals.com/news/2017/10/30/football-game-10-preview-idaho-state-vs-uc-davis.aspx
  • agalum
    Their game plan - keep our offense off the field. Their coach makes note of our 3rd down conversion percent (43).
  • BlueGoldAg
    The latest Massey Rankings has the Ags ranked #41 in Massey Rankings out of 124 FCS teams. The Massey Rankings are made up from a composite of 33 ranking sources. The following are the rankings for the Big Sky teams:

#8 NAU 6-2
    #12 SUU 6-2
    #13 Weber State 6-2
    #17 EWU 5-3
    #29 Montana 5-3
    #37 MSU 4-4
    #41 UCD 4-4
    #42 Sac State 4-4
    #61 North Dakota 3-6
    #64 Idaho State 4-5
    #74 Northern Colorado 2-5
    #86 Cal Poly 0-8
    #105 PSU 0-8

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
  • Zander
    Ags don't look half bad when the whole of FCS is considered. No losses outside the top 20 and no blowout losses outside the top 15.

FWIW San Diego is a few spots behind us at #46 and SDSU is behind only NDSU in the combined Sagarin rankings.
  • Riveraggie
    So this week is our most favored matchup remaining with us being only a slight favorite if at all against Sac..... Puke.
  • Riveraggie
    I think we can run against Idaho State. Our run stats against NAU were not terrible, they just stopped us in key situations. NAU is good defensive team.
    Idaho State gives up 4.9 yards per carry, while Cal Poly gives up 3.9.
    CJ did throw a touchdown on a roll out against NAU. And we had a fumble against Weber I think on a handoff. I like the wildcat, we could run some non wildcat plays with CJ in there as well. Execution needs to be good like is true for everything else.
  • DrMike
    i'm surprised Sac isn't higher based on their convincing win over SUU. They have the same BSU losses as us, but a 'signature' win.
  • movielover
    We don't have a signature win yet, right?
  • DrMike
    nope, that was my point in us being 'ranked' ahead of Sac. that SUU win is pretty impressive based on the Thunderbirds' victories over Weber and EWU (and their 12 ranking). our best wins are decisive wins over #45 USD and #61 UND. ISU would be another good win along those lines, especially on the road. SUU would be the signature.
  • movielover
    Let's hope no more dance party on sidelines.
  • Riveraggie
    Basically we’ve played to form, no upset yet and no loss that can be considered an upset. Losing this week would be a mild upset; it would drop us in the rankings quite a bit.
  • movielover
    Improved, winning games we should win. SLO a near disaster. I'd hope for 1 more W with a top 5 QB and WR.

Have we seen a 2 point conversion attempt?
  • Riveraggie
    We should expect to win this week and against Sac. We should expect to lose against SUU. We could win or lose any of the three. This is the make or break portion of the year.
    If we only beat Sac the year is a success. We will have shown improvement and swept California FCS schools.
    If we only beat SUU the seasons a success, we will have established a rep in the big sky as a team that can knock of anyone in the Big Sky
    If we only beat Idaho State it will be a good but unsatisfying year. We will have only beat the lowest tier teams in Big Sky. Still improved over recent years though.
    If we lose all three the season will be disappointing
  • AggieFinn
    Are these the same Bengals who went into Reno and won earlier this year?
  • movielover
    Someone must have bought Mr. Bob Dunning a case of Jolt cola. Three articles today.

- Davis' playoff chances
    - Aggies need to move to FBS
    - Idaho game / Aggie wideouts

No mention of lost running game or new dance party.
  • AggieFinn
    So, interesting situation in Pocatello...the starting kicker quit earlier in the year, then the next guy to kick, the original kicker's brother...quit in the middle of last week's game.

Weird.
  • movielover
    Quit in the middle of the game? Is tar and feathering still legal?
  • movielover
    Any insight tonight from the coaches show?
  • DrMike
    I sorta had it on while watching the world series, and didn't hear anything about the upcoming game. a little bit of post-poly talk, mostly about getting everyone calmed back down post-rivalry so that they can focus on the home stretch. the show is always entertaining, whether its Dan and Kelly just talking, or Dan interviewing another coach, or listening to one of the players. i haven't heard the KSAC version -> i'm assuming they don't have the sound issues we get on Facebook Live.
  • CA Forever
    Game day! LETS GO AGGIES!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I will be watching the Ags online from Kanab, Utah.

We've have an unexpected turn of events that is going to prevent us from being home in time for the SUU game though. We hit a deer yesterday morning before sunrise on our way to Bryce Canyon NP. A big doe jumped in front of us and I didn't even have time to hit the brakes at 55 mph. Our SUV suffered major front end damage and the radiator got shoved into the engine block. Luckily, we didn't crash..not so lucky for the poor deer though.

So we were on the side of the road somewhere between the small Mormon towns of Cannonville and Tropic with no cell reception. After about 2 hours a sheriff came by and, eventually, we got towed 2+ hours to St George, Utah, where the repair shop said it may take at least 2 weeks for repairs.

And now the kicker: there were no cars available to rent in the entire town of St George. So we had to get a cheap room for the night...one of those places that has a sign in the bathroom that says, "we charge for missing linens." Of course, we arrived in our dirty hiking clothes and our day packs looking like a couple of vagrants so we fit right in.

The only option for us to get a car was to take a shuttle to Vegas to rent a car and then drive 300 miles back to our rental house which is located in a remote canyon between Escalante and Boulder, Utah. We finally got back at 8 pm last night.

We leave this morning for Kanab and will be staying much longer than planned and will miss the SUU game...dang it! Oh well, nothing to do but roll with it and Zion NP is just down the road so we'll be hiking a lot in this incredibly area.

Go Ags!!
  • Kerberos
    yikes!! Glad you and your wife are okay. Sounds like quite the turn of events but for what it's worth, it's these types of "unplanned adventures" that you can look back on years from now as nostalgic travel memories!
  • agalum

Glad you are ok. While the literature doesnt support the efficacy of deer horns, i have them on all of our vehicles. We have a cabin in NE CA, so are in deer country alot. Dusk and dawn are the times you need to stay on your toes. I have seen deer stop in there tracks as i approached.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the well wishes.

The sheriff said they have had about 300 deer accidents in the county so far this year. He said most crashes happen when people try to swerve to avoid hitting the deer and said it's just better to hit them than swerve...yikes! He said the deer often will see their shadow when a car is coming and get spooked by the shadow so they try to flee from it and then jump into the roadway. He told us when that happens there's nothing you can do since they will jump out of the brush right into the road.

There was an official sheriff's truck at the repair shop that had terrible damage to the front end from hitting a deer. It's amazing how much damage that hitting a deer can cause!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!