• zythe
    Did we just get a ton of good people this season, or was it really just a coaching move?

I streamed the game and our boys looked very prepared.
  • Kerberos
    They're related though, aren't they? Recruits want to see that they are joining a program that has the potential to make them winners, not a program that's been on a 4 year downward spiral. New coach made it easier to get a ton of good people. Having said that, some Gould recruits are contributing significantly so I think that's credit to coaching too. And to Gould's recruiting, of course.
  • Goags20172
    Is that the guy who was a regular on the Man Show.
  • CA Forever
    In terms of players, I think the biggest addition so far is Maier. He already is acting and playing like a legitimate division 1 football player and he's only a Sophomore. That being said, we have a huge freshman class and it will be a little bit before we see who the big contributors are. The biggest thing is the change coaching though. The offensive scheme is dynamite and the defense has a ton of confidence despite being a lot of the same players as last season. That comes from the coaches. It also helps that the man at the helm has guts. I love that we are taking risks now. Gould took practically 0 risks during his stint here.
  • movielover
    A lot are young Gould recruits, but not the most heralded ones... like WR Moore and Cummins. Couple of JC recruits, plus Maier... he is uuuge.

The playbook is night and day, human vs klingon. I won't ever forget we are battling SLO, but our defense can't stop them... wr are 4th and short late in the game, and Gould elects to punt!!! ... yet last week, we are 4th and short in our own territory, and Hawk goes for it!!

No one has mentioned Maier punting twice!!
  • CA Forever
    The play where Maier punted (I believe we did it twice) was really interesting. Eliminates the risk of a return because they can't have a guy back as a returner if we are potentially going for it. I have never seen a play quite like it. Definitely caught me off guard the first time.
  • agalum
    ↪movielover The play where Maier punted (I believe we did it twice) was really interesting. Eliminates the risk of a return because they can't have a guy back as a returner if we are potentially going for it. I have never seen a play quite like it. Definitely caught me off guard the first time.

Innovative. Keeps the D honest. If we loose, so be it. At least we are not getting out coached, game after game.
  • movielover
    Isn't this a Quick Kick? I think big back in Crip Toomey's playing days.

I looked it up, Boise State pulled one off in 2010.

Did Maier kick them both on 4th down?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great video...Hawk's got this team believing...
  • DrMike
    First punt was a quick kick. Was 4 and short, looked like we were going for it and he kicked. Second one was pretty obvious we weren't going for it. By they couldn't put anyone back else you are defenders and we might have run a play. Nice wrinkle. Memories of Sammy Baugh
  • movielover
    Does Maier have a decent leg or was it kick and roll?
  • DrMike
    Kick and roll. No hang time. But both put them in holes, one inside the 5.
  • AggieFinn

Great seeing you too! We'll see what happens, I may be moving north before the fall turns to winter. A lot can happen.

As for this team, watch out. Got something cooking right now.
  • Riveraggie
    We are fortunate that we are good at wide receiver and qb, which are required for us to play our traditional aggie style. By which I mean a pass predominant style, which we always had except Gould era.

Also, I like our backs They don't have great stats but are versatile and have varied skills.
    Defense again was tough when it counted.

In retrospect the game showed PSU had serious flaws, bad kicker, frosh qb who played like one. Slow punter. We on the other hand had no glaring deficiencies a good team all around.

Next week is anybody's game, which is the way I think the season will be. We can play with these teams now.
  • The Big Easy
    Whaaaat!

I did not see that coming! UCD showed noticeable improvement on both sides of the ball and played a great game! PSU didn't look like a team that played two close games against FBS teams.

Maier's is throwing with confidence.

Gotta luv college football...anything can happen on any given Saturday!

Top 5 teams in the conference coming up starting with Weber St. at #5 (coaches and media poll) followed by North Dakota #1, Eastern Washington #2, Northern Arizona #3 and Cal Poly #4.

This anticipation feels weird!
  • DrMike
    The South Dakota beat down of North Dakota was a shock. Maybe a little overrated? Or the big sky is down
  • CA Forever
    The Big Sky is all over the place right now. EWU looked really off against 2 good FBS teams, but came back with a decent win over Fordham. Montana is winning big but just lost their starting QB for the season against Savannah St. Cal Poly is 0-3, but they looked significantly more competitive against UNI than their previous 2 games. ISU just beat a bad FBS team. UND was looking strong, but got pounded by a highly ranked USD. As of right now, it kind of seems like an anyone can beat anyone situation in the conference.
  • AggieFinn
    Looking back is always 20/20. This game was a great showing on the road, but PSU showed they were on a downward trend.

On another trend, the Portland Timbers continue to expand operations at Providence Park. PSU will be playing in an even bigger echo chamber come 2019.

Turner Set to Expand Providence Park Ahead of 2019 Timbers Season

Folks at R.F. Stearns in Lake Oswego got the structural steel subcontract...the only reason I know.

portland-timbers-announce-50m-proposal-to-expand-providence-park__82273_.jpg
  • Goags20172
    Maybe PSU should hold their games at the practice field on campus if it gets too expensive to lease. Put up a couple sets of bleachers. That should do it.

One thing I thought was interesting when I visited San Diego State was that their football practice has an electronic scoreboard. I guess that's for the women's lacrosse team I saw practicing. Otherwise it serves no purpose. Who needs to know the score at a football practice ?
  • aggie6thman
    PSU just build a much bigger and much needed basketball arena. Next up, a football field?
  • Goags20172
    I don't think there's any room on the PSU campus. If memory serves there's no room for a soccer field, and that's the most important thing to Oregonians after pickling and putting birds on stuff :D
  • Goags20172
    looks like they want to block out free viewing of Timbers games by the people in the building adjacent to Providence Park or stop the building's tenants from selling tickets similar to the building's near Wrigley Field.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!