• agalum
    I just don’t think Hastings can beat SLAC. We need a new recipe.
  • AggieFinn2
    Cancel the Causeway Classic !
  • movielover
    The offense needs some juice. Better 3rd down conversion, Chaz Davis early, Fly sweep (at least a fake FS)?, bubble screen, LL throwing (he was a QB in HS), real trick play? I'm obviously not an OC, but I believe we'd all hate to see LL hurt if we just pound him between the tackles for 4 quarters.

Fill the place! Go Ags.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm both excited and, to a lesser extent, dreading this game. I'm glad it's being played at home rather than at Sac but the last Causeway game in Davis was no fun at all for my wife and I.

We were surrounded by Hornet fans many of whom were pounding the beers one after another. The guy sitting right next to me was loud and obnoxious. Before the game even started he kept talking to me about how there's no way we would be able to stop, "My boy, Skattebo." Then, during the game, he never stopped talking loudly and would nudge me or pat me on the back and say, "See what I mean, what did tell, you've got no answer, he's unstoppable," and on and on all game long.

We thought about getting up and moving but the stadium was packed and we didn't want to end up standing or searching for a place in the in he end zone grass so we just stuck it out. The whole experience was so unpleasant that, after the game, my wife told me that she would never go to a Causeway game again.

After two years, those feelings are behind us now and we plan to be there on Saturday. We sit in section 124 and there aren't a lot of season ticket holders around us but I'm hoping that we'll get lucky and have a bunch of Aggie fans around us this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There's a lot riding on this game for both teams. Here were everyone stands currently in the Big Sky:

htsmrmc9tgnf0mh8.png
  • AggieFinn2
    His boy Skattebo ? Guy sounds like a loser living vicariously through the team. Probably has a closet full of Skattebo jerseys. Where's his boy Skattebo now ? Visiting fans who don't know their place are irritating. Where were these hornet fans when the team was bad ? Bunch of bandwagon losers. A big reason I want to end the Causeway Classic is doing so will greatly decrease the need for hornet fans like that to sully UCDavis Health Stadium with their presence.
  • agalum

I remember your post about this. I must admit I’ve seen some Aggie fans do some idiotic things.
    We pay extra to sit in the team aggie section, which has nicer seats and a fun Aggie crowd. Up until this year, there were docents checking tickets in our section at the entry. It kept opposing fans out. This year they are not checking tickets, which means we end up in an open seating area if season ticket holders don’t show. On causeway game days, we will end up with a bunch of opposing fans in our section. If they’re going to get those seats, they should be paying the team aggie fees like the rest of us.
  • movielover
    Lan Larrison was 70% of our offense and about 99% of our rushing yards.
  • movielover
    A few posted yesterday worrying that we might lose LL to an FBS program. FWIW, here's what happened to Cameron Skattabo.

He's at Arizona State and has over 600 yds rushing - no. 1 on his team - and about 280 receiving for a 3-7 team. At Sac he racked up over 1400 yds rushing in one season.

LL could be a top 5 RB in all of FCS next year. He's #13 now for rushing yards, unsure why I can't find him in rushing yards per Game, which should be even higher.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs
  • Riveraggie
    Why doesn’t he just turn pro? His class is graduating this year. Why go play for another college at all? He has shown his ability, why risk injury?
  • movielover
    Another option. What's his 40 speed?

As we see with Keelan Doss, it's a huge jump to the next level. O'Brien had a cannon, Benirschke had a leg.
  • Riveraggie
    4.49. Doss reportedly 4.56. Larison has qualities as a player that transcend speed alone.

https://twitter.com/CoachiJACK/status/1662239318897840133/photo/1
  • 72Aggie
    "it's a huge jump to the next level."
    Just an aside:
    It's a big jump from level to level. I remember a guy who played DB on my son's HS team. (A shcool with a very successful athletics program.) The guy was very fast, also ran sprints on the track team. Went on to play football at a HBCU on the east coast. We saw him when he was home for the holidays in what would have been his freshman year. When asked how it was playing at that level, (MEAC), all he could say was "They're FAST!!"
  • cmt
    I couldn't tell you what his pro prospects are but if he has them, going to a bigger school and playing well will make it more likely he gets drafted.
  • BlueGoldAg
    LL could be a top 5 RB in all of FCS next year. He's #13 now for rushing yards, unsure why I can't find him in rushing yards per Game, which should be even higher.movielover

Larison has played in 7 games and has rushed for 980 yards so he is averaging 140 yards per game which would make him #2 in yards per game behind #1 Jaden Shirden of Monmouth at 142.9. Both of those players are well ahead of #3 Sam Franklin of UT Martin at 121.8.
  • Riveraggie
    That makes sense if you are not already on their radar, which I think isn’t the case. He is not like Doss, with borderline speed for his position. Lan has good size 207lbs and speed 4.49, great agility and instincts, is a proven receiver. The one thing that could keep him from being drafted would be injury.
  • movielover
    Rain now forecast for Sat AM.
  • tokyoag
    Anyone see this? Neat promo featuring Chancellors from both schools.
  • AggieFinn
    Chancellor May with a nice hands catch.
  • movielover

We're just guessing, bc from what I know, none of us are experts. A few things to consider.

One college coach I knew said you have to continually get better towards draft day. Even gaining a few (bad) pounds will cause concern. Dan Marinos name came up, as did a few others.

Doss had standout performances against top FB programs. A 43 yard reception vs San Diego State first play of the game on the way to an anazing 185 yards receiving. Then 13 catches against Stanford. Likely doubled at both places.

Larison was good against Oregon State, 55 yards rushing including one long run. Will he be invited to any All Srar games?
  • Riveraggie
    I think Larison would not be invited to college all star games because he has remaining eligibility.
    I hope he stays, but if he leaves I think that he would be better off turning pro than going to some other college team, particularly if he can graduate in this, his fourth year. I think he’s shown he’s a player and the NFL would probably draft him according to how he does in work outs anyway.
  • Toke69
    That's a very cool promo. Anyone know if the Chancellor ever played football?
  • Russ Bowlus
    None of his bios mention it, and he doesn't show up on any of the GA Tech rosters I could find from 83-85 time period. Could've played in HS, maybe just reasonably athlietic.
  • Riveraggie
    The statistic that stands out when looking at Sac and Davis in conference games is that Sac gives up an average of 437 yards per game and Davis 319. Davis holds teams to 5 points less than Sac does, .
    On offense Davis and Sac gain 418 and 412 yards respectively, but Sac scores 5 points per game more, approximately 30 vs 25.
    Sac has been out-gained by conference opponents, Davis out gained conference opponents by 100 yards per game.
    Sacs star linebacker didn’t play last week, and Davis didn’t have Chubba or Rex Connors.
  • BlueGoldAg
    SERIES HISTORY
    Saturday will mark the 70th meeting between the two rivals as the Aggies boast a 46-23 all-time advantage. The two programs have played annually since 1954 with the exception of the pandemic canceled 2020 season. Last year the Aggies were edged, 27-21 at Sacramento. The series is tied in games played at UC Davis Health Stadium, 3-3. The Ags are 24-11 all-time as the home team.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2023/11/14/football-aggies-set-to-clash-with-sacramento-state-on-saturday.aspx
  • NCagalum
    Rain is in forecast. With field turf, I don’t expect much in the way of unsure footing as back in the day (I remember one Causeway game in Davis - maybe 78,79?) that was an absolute mud bowl. I suspect the wind will have as much of an impact as wetness, and it may impact the passing game. Perhaps a bit more emphasis on the run game.
  • NCagalum
    I think defense will be a big key in this game and I hope the Ags make a statement and in that way create a bit of confusion with the freshman QB (if they go with him). Montana shut down Sac’s offense and I think they mentally imploded.
  • SochorField
    Throw the records and rankings out the window, baby! Toss up!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!