• BlueGoldAg
    When you look at the stats for this game one stands out like a sore thumb for both teams. The Ags were only 2-12 on third down conversions and Weber was even worse converting only 3-15. I don't think I've ever seen a game with so few third down conversions by both teams.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Strange game when you look at those stats! I hope it's because both teams had great defensive play but I think not so good offensive play is part of it also.
  • Zander
    Accounting for the narrow Weber victory, Massey currently has the Aggies favored in 3/4 of the remaining games (by a TD each for Portland State and NAU and 2 TDs for Idaho State) and actually just slightly an underdog hosting Sac.

https://masseyratings.com/539277/8200

Absolutely nothing on that schedule is a gimme and we know all three of NAU, PSU, and ISU can win. But the point is as much as we're not impressed with the eye test, playoff hopes are very much alive and a 7-win season would not be a particularly surprising outcome or an overperformance. All that especially true if we come out of the bye with a healthy RB corps.
  • Riveraggie
    My eye test keeps telling me Davis could be a dominant defense, i’m kind of baffled that they can’t quite put it all together.
  • NCagalum
    After watching the game …. It reminded me of a big 10 game sort of like the iowa - Wisconsin game. It was a bit weird - seemed liked the coaches wanted to play very conservatively and lean on the defense. They seemed to have completely abandoned a quick pace offense that keeps the defense off balance and from substituting. That used to be an Aggie standard mode.

It’s almost like the coaches play/plan based on the opponent (play up/play down) as others have mentioned how opened- up the offense was against Montana. Weber offense is simply bad. This is not to derate the Aggie defense which was quite good. The Ags really need Larison back and to change up offensive schemes to open up things more.

I do have to say after watching Idaho state that the strategy against them may be to take the air out of the ball. Eastern Washington failed in trying to outscore them. Eastern has a poor rushing offense so had no other choice.
  • Riveraggie
    Davis opened it up when behind against Montana, were productive when briefly behind against Weber. They play conservatively with a lead. That will be a better strategy with Larison and Tompkins healthy.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!