• AggieFinn
    Kickoff @ 5 pm Pacific
  • Riveraggie
    Copied from X:

Head coach
    @DHawkins34
    will hold his weekly press conference today at 1 p.m. Follow along here #GoAgs

https://youtube.com/live/dwp94GF4QxQ?feature=share…
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the link.

I noticed that the press was turning the mic off after they asked their questions this week so we didn't hear all that scratching noise that we had in the previous pressers. That's something that we were complaining about for weeks so maybe someone in the athletics administration actually reads our forum once in a while. It certainly made a big difference in the sound quality so good job for whomever finally corrected the problem!

I've said this before but I'll say it again, you have to be so impressed with the players we have not only from an athletic perspective but also just how bright, articulate and humble they are. I really like hearing from them. They are great examples of what Aggie Athletics and Aggie Pride is all about.

Hawk said Larison may suit up for the Weber game and that he's running a bit now but he's getting used to the brace on his knee. That's good to hear but it also makes me think he's not fully healed up since he still needs a protective brace. I would think that a brace would certainly impede some of his natural ability as well.
  • agalum
    And Bob is taking the Aggies by 14. In my book Weber is right up there with Montana and EWU, they usually have the Ags number, even when they are down.

“ AGGIES over WEBER STATE ... Two perennial Big Sky powers who are both off to a slow start. Both are trying to salvage their dwindling playoff chances, which will virtually disappear with a loss. Weber State has major problems on offense. The Aggie defense is loaded for bear. Or, in this case, Wildcats. Take the Ags by 14.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bobs-picks-uc-davis-trying-to-salvage-playoff-chances/article_786dd86a-68dd-11ee-a38b-f34634c8e613.html
  • movielover
    Our number one receiver is our TE, Josh Gale, w 19 catches and 258 yards. We scored 3 points in the second half last week, 6 of 15 on 3rd down.

Given Lance Babbs' playmaking ability - see 65 yard reception, most YAC - not sure why he is used so little, or in the dog house.

It seems like we set our game plan in preseason, but don't adjust for emerging players - Tehran Thomas, JC, or Babbs. We give the ball to UG, LL, or Fisher, and the others get a token carry or two.

Our offense seems predictable, and the 4th down play was odd. With MH a veteran, I'd figure we'd go uptempo on ocassion or no huddle.

Give LL 2 more weeks R&R. Go Ags.
  • Riveraggie

Our problem isn’t which receivers we play, we gained 359 yards receiving. Babb may not be as fast as he was as a freshman, he looks a little heavier.
    The fake punt may be a situation as described a few years ago, where the players in the field can call it, based on how they read the punt return team. The other 4th down play was an incomplete pass on 4th and 3.
    Which brings us to the tendency of Davis to pass on traditional running downs and run on passing downs. With our injuries at running back we’re not going to have success running on running down and distance situations.
    The Montana game was lost by the long Montana touchdowns, and not getting stops on third down. Special teams weren't that good either.
  • agalum
    We seem to be right where we need to be at the half, at least in a position to win, then go flat on offense. I thought our defense went flat in the second half as well against Montana. Are we getting out coached from our opponents half time adjustments?
  • NCagalum
    Babb may not be as fast as he was as a freshman, he looks a little heavier.

Exactly what I thought. I got very excited when Babb made his reception and thought he was going to take it to the house. He ran out of gas - he does look thicker than as a freshman, which is likely to happen but he seems to have lost a step. I do think he deserve some more playing time - especially if he blocks for others (still can’t believe no attempt to block on the swing pass to Fisher by we all know who). BTW Fisher can only play in one more game if redshirt is to be preserved. Re: running backs.

UG was very durable and with his multiple talents I would have kept him in as much as possible just as Hawk/Cody did. Same with LL other than breathers. These are superior game - changing backs. Tehran Thomas got quite a few carries and deservedly so.

Unless you have second and third string backs that are very close in talent or bring a speciality to the table - like a big bruiser at the goal line or short-yardage - I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to do a lot of rotation. One exception would be to keep guys leaving to the portal, but Davis is not that type of program. But of course injuries do bring opportunities to others.

I think the Aggies need to play with a bit more fire - Larison had that - and Montana had it more than the Aggies last Saturday. A good start - as opposed to EWU, SUU, and Montana would be a big help towards posting wins.
  • movielover

I can't recall a 64 yard run after catch getting so much criticism.

We gave UG the bulk of carries one year, not giving others an opportunity to develop or to motivate them. Maybe those views are antiquated. Like another AST poster remarked, when LL got so much work a HS coach was predicting an injury.
  • Riveraggie

No one criticized Babb, but he doesn't seem to be the deep threat that people are hoping for.

It wasn’t just that LL was getting a high percentage of the running back plays, he was carrying the ball all the time in one way or another, receiver, running back, wildcat QB, returning kicks.
  • movielover
    Correct. A WR can't be a threat if he doesn't have the ball thrown to him.

Receptions

Hutton - 21
    Gale - 19 (TE)
    TT - 30 (converted QB)
    Davis - 14
    LL - 13 (RB)
    Simpson - 12 (TE)
    Gbatu - 9
    Crump - 8
    Fisher - 6 (RB)
    Babbs - 4
    Kraft - 3

Receptions - Wide Receivers

Hutton - 21
    TT - 30 (converted QB)
    Davis - 14
    Gbatu - 9
    Crump - 8
    Babbs - 4
    Kraft - 3 (injured)
  • Riveraggie
    For some unknown reason Babb doesn’t play or get thrown to a lot.
    Gbatu had a good game and is probably the number 3 receiver now. If they don’t win this week they’ll probably be playing the guys who will be here next year.
  • movielover
    Maybe the new OC hasn't seen his highlights from 3 years ago. Good to see Gbatu join the fun.

Is our O line banged up?
  • Riveraggie
    According to the box score we are playing a defensive lineman at left tackle and he starts! Only people that have read my weekly posts about this know what I’m talking about.
    Seriously I think the only guy out has been David Main, who got a leg injury a few games back. I’ve never seen anyone roll so far as the guy that cut his legs out. Not saying it was intentional but it was weird.
  • agalum
    The Weber boards seem to think their starting QB Weisser is still out from an injury, and apparently their backup guys have very limited game experience. They are really down on their offense, but seem to think their defense, as well as special teams, is stout.
    They have averaged 19 points a game, and average 130 yards rushing and 130 in the air. Tomorrow is their homecoming.
    We are averaging 26 points per game, with 157 on the ground and 233 through the air. Interestingly, our opponents average points is 26.17. Man that 0.17 has killed us, lol.
  • Riveraggie
    Weisser played against Northern Arizona until the end of the game, what makes him questionable?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Vegas has us as 7.8 point favorites and predicting a final score of 28-20 Aggies.

https://www.wsmv.com/sports/betting/2023/10/14/weber-state-uc-davis-college-football-picks-predictions/
  • CA Forever
    Go Ags! Beat the Wildcats!
  • NCagalum
    I was a Babb fan after seeing him in 2019 and had expected him to be involved more. I think his taking a year off hurt him - sort of like you don’t get promoted when you’re not at the office. Just conjecture and personally I would have not taken that as a factor on its own - but I think many coaches would.

Our comments were just observations not criticism. I think he was quicker when he was lighter.
  • movielover
    Yup. We're not at practice, but I'd sure want to get a talent like this untracked.

Lance Babbs
    Year Catches Yards Average Longest
    2023 .... 4 ...... 74 ..... 18.5 ...... 65
    2022 .. 10 ....... 95 ...... 9.5 ...... 22
    2019 .. 46 ....563 ...... 12.2 ...... 69
  • agalum
    Deleted
  • BlueGoldAg
    You can fast rewind a game to the beginning that is currently in progress ESPN+ but you will see the current score before you start to rewind.
  • agalum

Thanks, i figured it out so deleted my question. Maybe I’ll have my wife rewind it, lol.
  • CA Forever
    Woah Weber is going with a brand new QB; first collegiate start. Defensive line needs to get after him early.
  • CA Forever
    aaand already a special teams blunder
  • Toke69
    Anyone know who the two broadcasters are? They don't seem to be Weber State guys from how they're calling the game so far.
  • CA Forever
    Strong start for the defense!
  • movielover
    Poor field position 2x now.
  • CA Forever
    2 runs up the middle after a sack and a false start... geez...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!