• BlueGoldAg
    The facilities arms race in college sports just got a jolt. The Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nevada, announced a $1 billion capital improvements project which includes a new 10,000-seat arena for the University of Nevada Reno’s men’s and women’s basketball teams. The plans call for a new convention tower and a new hotel with 800 rooms, 300 new residences and upgrades to the resort’s Grand Bay water feature. And the project includes an aquatic driving range.

“Not in my wildest dreams did I think I could be coaching in an arena and go over for lunch and hit golf balls,” Nevada men’s coach Steve Alford said during the announcement Wednesday in Reno.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/golf/article279869514.html#storylink=cpy
  • 72Aggie
    If Alford is still around when the arena is completed it will be the longest he has ever held a coaching position.
  • BlueGoldAg

Manchester College - 5 years (78-29)
    Southwest Missouri State - 4 years (78-48)
    Iowa - 8 years (152-106)
    New Mexico - 6 years (155-52)
    UCLA - 6 years (124-63)
    Nevada - 4 years to date (70-51)
  • AggieFinn2
    And all $1 billion in Las Vegas buys the Oakland A's is a 30,000 seat stadium on 9 acres of land. I feel bad for Nevada taxpayers-they're being ripped off there. Hope that A's deal falls through. They might as well just put the A's in the 10,000 seat stadium where the Las Vegas Aviators play. All of the A's fans can easily fit with room to spare.
  • 72Aggie
    I was speaking off the cuff, but turns out I was close to the mark.The artidle says the arena expects to be open in three years, which would put Alford at 7 years. His longest held postition was 8. He has a winning recored everywhere he goes, but he goes a lot of places. He has had problems in the post-season.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He does move around a lot. I just posted the places he has coached after I looked him up. I had no idea he had coached at all of those different colleges. The Aggies seem to play in Reno every few years so we might get to see the Ags in that new arena in the future.
  • 72Aggie
    I’m no doubt biased against Alford. My Iowa roots. He would do well and then falter in the post season.
  • movielover
    The areana is not $1 Billion. What's wrong with Lawlor?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, the 10,000 seat arena is part of a $1 billion project. I changed the thread title to avoid confusion.
  • agalum
    Sounds like a good reason to follow the Ags to Reno. We always have had a blast going there for football games, as long as you don’t get a nose bleed climbing up their visitors bleachers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!