• CA Forever
    The record is held by Mike Ichiyama who had 309 yards on 42 rushing attempt vs Chico State in 1994.

LL had 255 yards on 22 attempts before he left in the 3rd quarter. With the game being as close as it was and him being our only notable offensive weapon he almost certainly would have broken the school record.
  • agalum

“ Also, any news on Larison's injury?”
    My hunch is they keep it quiet for a while to make teams prep for him.
  • Russ Bowlus
    In a driving rainstorm vs Chico State. Amazing effort, and the the week before he ran for 300+ @ SF State.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I remember him. He was a fireplug running on jet fuel and, once he got going, he was like a zigzagging, steel, bowling ball on the loose. Super strong and hard to bring down!
  • BlueGoldAg

Mike Ichiyama, a versatile football player who earned first team All-America honors as an all-purpose back in 1994. He is best known for posting consecutive 300-yard rushing games in the final two weeks of his career, becoming the first collegiate player in NCAA history to achieve such a feat. Ichiyama remains among UC Davis' all-time leaders in all-purpose yards, receptions, receiving yards, rushing yards, punt returns and kickoff returns.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/uc-davis-induct-six-aggie-hall-fame

THE 25-YEAR ICH
    On what was roughly the 25th anniversary of Mike Ichiyama's back-to-back 300-yard games, Gilliam's 242 at PSU stands as the No. 5 single-game performance in UC Davis history... Oddly, all five games took place in November, with the No. 6 game – Jermaine Rucker's 238 vs. Saint Mary's – taking place on Oct. 25, 1996:

1. Mike Ichiyama - 309 (11/5/1994)
    2. Mike Ichiyama - 305 (11/12/1994)
    3. Manusamoa Luuga - 249 (11/19/2016)
    4. Preston Jackson - 243 (11/13/1993)
    5. ULONZO GILLIAM, Jr. - 242 (11/9/2019)

Ichiyama's performance wrote one of the great "what might have been" stories in program history... He had served as a slot receiver and return man throughout his career, but an injury to starting RB Rusty Stivers moved the diminutive Ichiyama to the backfield for his final two games... On that Nov. 5, 1994 game, the heavy downpour forced UC Davis to run: Ichiyama carried the ball a school-record 42 times... The prevailing thought was to credit the conditions... A muddy field and a small, shifty runner enjoying a one-off start at RB meant that a 300-yard rushing game was unlikely to happen again at any time soon... Yet one week later, Ichiyama broke loose for 305 on a sunny and clear day at San Francisco State's Cox Stadium... He became the second player in NCAA history to run for consecutive 300-yard games, after Northern Illinois' Leshon Johnson in 1993... The next to do so: Texas' Ricky Williams, during his Heisman Trophy season of 1998.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/11/12/football-aggies-host-bobcats-for-salute-to-heroes-home-game
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Davis Enterprise:

"You turn the ball over four times against a good football team and it's going to be hard to win," Hawkins offered. "That's the nature of the Big Sky. We have to learn from this and move on. You have to learn how to handle defeat without getting defeated."

Much of the post-game focus, however, was on Larison's status.

"He's very special," said Hawkins. "He's strong and physical and with his speed, he can leave you. That kid is blue collar all the way. He is the definition of work."

Added Tompkins, "No matter what, he'll be on the sidelines encouraging us. He's a captain. This one hurts, but that's football. Hats off to them. They play hard and they always find a way. But our confidence is still high. We still have all our goals."

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/football-uc-davis-lose-tough-big-sky-conference-opener-to-eastern-washington-university/article_b2be12f2-59a9-11ee-9a82-0be8cdcfaa93.html
  • Jackbacker2
    Watching the game on MY 58 Larison seemed like a man playing against boys. Tough break for him and the Aggies on his injury. I have been pondering a few questions about the injury occurring: These included fatigue , a huge factore; since it appeared to have happened on the way down? Was I overworked at that moment and needed more rest?

I loosely follow the 49ers and it seemed that Shannon so far has developed a more downhill run scheme in this short season rather than the zone blocking speeding horizontal game looking for the gap to gash.This might be due to all the injuries the 49ers have suffered on wide run plays.

Football, even at the FCS level, is a collision sport but teams should be looking at how they can lessen the chance of putting their players into harm's way. My thoughts are that Larison was fatigued and was injured on the way down from the poor replays that I saw on TV. Should Larison have asked for a blow, should the strength coach who was on the sideline intervene, should the OC or Hawk pull him for a bit. I am not sure, but I hope moving forward the teams work on this.

As for Larison I wish him the best moving forward, he was a treat to watch on Saturday.
  • NCagalum
    If Larison is out for the year, the Ags are in a world of hurt. I really respect Larison - he palpably has tried to put the team on his back - seems like he wants to win more than anyone else. I wish him well whatever the prognosis.

We just don’t have any depth at running back - and no second “big/string guy - most seem small. And as much as I like Tompkins - I don’t think he should be the main wide receiver option and I don’t know that he would thrive at running back either. He does a lot of dancing, but ultimately it’s about vertical movement. Larison is a master at that - wait for the hole then explode vertically. I think more touches for tomokins has resulted in fewer for Hutton and I think Hutton is better at going downfield.

I like splitting out Gale wide. He is a big body and still pretty fast despite putting on weight. I fully expected Babb to be a go to after what I saw at Portland State in 2019. He is an athlete but has mysteriously gotten buried on the depth chart.
  • Riveraggie

They should use Tompkins as the Wildcat QB again. That replaces some of Larison’s carries.
    Tompkins made some tough catches, he’s a possession type receiver, and should be good on screens leave him at wide receiver, but get some faster wide receivers in the rotation.
    They should use Hutton for the fly sweep plays, for some reason Tompkins ran those against EW. Hutton runs like a running back.
    They need to see what the seldom played running backs can do with the opportunity, including the true freshman. It is an oversight that we don’t have any bigger backs.
  • 69aggie
    I semi disagree with most of the above comments. But some points are probably worth looking into. I don’t think that Larison was over used in this game. He was having a career game and he deserved to stay in the game. He was never going to ask for a rest under those circumstances. In terms of the RB depth situation who could have predicted we would lose our two best RBs in the first four games of the season? We do have backups who can carry the ball. Our new OC is somewhat conservative with the passing game which is very consistent with our once powerful running game. Why call for a risky pass play when you have a Larison who can pick up 7 yard a carry. Now I agree things have to change and now we get to see if we have a coaching staff who can deal with this adversity. And adjust. I know Hawk is sitting with his coaches and working out a new plan right now. All this is just part of the game of football and I am optimistic that the Ags will come back next week. And maybe get Tompkins a little more involved in every aspect of the game.
  • movielover
    I've harped a bit on getting more players PT in blowout games. Its a collision sport, there will be injuries. We kept Hunter Rodriguez in well into the 4th Q vs Dixie State (2021), we were running up the score a bit; and we were going to UG over and over in a clear victory. A players Father in the stands told us the goal was to get him 200 yards. MH had 1 pass attempt, Hutton, Crawford, and Perez each only had one carry in a 60-27 win.

Versus USD, a 53-7 win, Hutton and LL had one carry each.

Last year in a 30 point win over USD, Dixon only had 2 pass attempts. This year, Harper only had 2 attempts vs Texas Commerce.

I'd prefer in these instances we get the 2s in in Q3, and 3s in in Q3 or 4. Tough to match game conditions at practice. Plus, it's only fair. Get Chukwudobe and others reps. Or was our goal to be ranked higher nationally w a blowout win?
  • Toke69
    Thank you!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Lots of good discussion going on here. Thanks guys for contributing your thoughts. There often seems to only be a few of us "regulars" posting on AST but I think there are probably of lot more Aggie fans who read this forum but never post. I hope we can continue to keep up a robust conversation and, hopefully, get more Aggie fans to actively post here on AST.
  • NCagalum
    Well, trying to look at the positive side of things - this is the first time the Ags should have won an EWU game. Can’t remember when they have held EWU to as few yards and points. There were even comments on the EWU board that Davis should have won. And EWU wasn’t exactly chopped liver. The defense has done some good things this year.

Last year the Ags started 1-4, including a game they blew at home versus Weber. While there is hope of turning things around after this tough loss, it will be hard to overcome the loss of Larison. Personally I would be thrilled if they made the playoffs - even if they didn’t win one playoff game. Montana and Weber are down this year so I think there is a better likelihood of sneaking in. Bottom line is the way overused mantra of “one game at a time”.
  • Riveraggie
    To me, beating the major conference powers is more important thean a playoff appearance, While not as bad as the EW series, we are overdue to beat Weber, Montana, and Sac I’d be thrilled if we win against two of those three and didn’t make the playoffs.
  • NCagalum
    Well wins there certainly get you to the playoffs most likely. And if they win 2 of those 3 and don’t make the playoffs it would likely mean that they lost to someone they should have beat.

Ags did beat both Weber and Montana last time they played them on the road. Sac is easily the best team of those three - Weber got shutout at home 40-0 and Montana has little offense. If you want some entertainment- search YouTube for Montana football press conference. Bobby Hauck is a real jerk. Can’t imagine being in the press there. And there’s got to be a lot of negative vibes felt by the players with a guy like that.

I don’t think anyone beats Montana State, unless Chambers gets hurt.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!