• Toke69
    The Red Wolves hail from the Sun Belt Conference which often produces surprisingly good teams. Comparative stats are relatively meaningless, but Arkansas State is a bit lower in Sagarin's rating than UCD. At the time of the game, Arkansas State will not have any victories over any Div. 1 team, having lost the only one they've played so far, Louisiana State. LSU is considerably better than Loyola Marymount. (They've also played an NCAA Div. 2 team and will play an NAIA on Nov. 14.) The Wolves top player would seem to be Omar El-Sheikh, a 6' 8" forward from Gize, Egypt, who leads the team in both scoring and rebounds. Their second leading scorer and assist leader is Avery Felts, a 6' 2" guard. The game is scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN+.
  • Toke69
    Bad news today: At their respective halves, Cal is trailing UCSD by 10, 26-37 and Loyola Marymount is getting trounced by the Anteaters, 25-45. Games are both at the leading teams campus, if that means anything. The Big West is looking very tough.
  • BlueGoldAg
    UC San Diego hangs on to beat Cal 64-62. Cal drops to 0-3.
    Irvine, coming off their win over #22 Oregon, thumped Loyola Marymount 72-59.

Obviously, Cal is not up to the PAC12 standards. This is the second year in a row that UCSD has beaten them. Irvine is looking like the early power in the BW.

The Aggies will be looking for some consistency against the Red Wolves after an uninspired win over Cal Maritime and a solid loss at LMU.
  • Toke69
    Ags look somewhat lackadaisical in the opening minutes. More turnovers than field goals after 4:15.
  • agalum
    Shooting ice cold
  • Toke69
    Pepper picking it up. Matchup zone was effective for a few minutes and when UCD went back to a man-to-man, the Wolves hit a 3. Ags up 16-11.
  • agalum
    31-25 at the half. Arkansas contesting everything, their D is pretty good
  • Toke69
    A frustrating half. Ags could never stretch their lead beyond 8. Ark State has decent defense, but their shooting is terrible 27.3% with enough bricks for an outhouse. UCD's shooting is decent but still too many turnovers. They're not taking care of the passing lanes, thus the Red Wolves have 6 steals already.
  • BlueGoldAg
    A fair size crowd for an early season game and a decent number of students. The band sounds great too. The game is a defensive struggle. Too many TO’s for the Ags. I hope we can get some offensive flow in the second half.
  • agalum
    Yes, great to see lots of students and a decent size crowd.
  • Toke69
    Nice to have Bob Williams doing the color. The man knows basketball.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You’ve gotta love the passion that DeBruhl plays with.
  • agalum
    Red wolves staying in it. 57-49 8 to go
  • Toke69
    I like the way the Aggies started moving the ball in the second half. They now have 21 assists to ASU's 7. Results in better shots. They have good balanced scoring.
  • Toke69
    Nice win for UC Davis, but in Berkeley, another embarrassing outing for the 0-4 Bears. In a battle of two winless teams, they lose to mid-major Southern U. Each of those losses takes some of the luster off our upset of Cal which might have one of their worst teams ever.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We just got home from the game. This was a nice win for the Aggies over a very scrappy team who would not quit. Each time they made a run and got close, we found a way to answer and get the lead back to 8 or 9. I thought both teams played hard defense so nothing came easy for the offenses.

My wife was keeping score and she noted that we played 9 players in the first half and I noted how I think this team has a lot depth which is something we haven't had in a while. On the drive home, we were listening to Les in the radio post-game interview and he said that the strength of the team is the depth and that they plan to play a lot of players in each game. He said we have a lot of quality players who can contribute and that that can make a big difference late in the game as our opponents wear down. I thought we saw that tonight as the Ags pulled away late in the game.

He liked our defensive intensity tonight, which he said was missing in the LMU game, but that we still had too many defensive break downs. For example, he said that Fields, who scored 25 for the Red Wolves, was a good player. At halftime, they talked about how he always drives to the right but our defense never really took that away from him.

I thought Beasley had a very nice game and DeBruhl really stepped up tonight too. Sione Losé is a pleasant surprise also. All in all, it was a good win for the Ags and I'm looking forward to seeing this team continue to get better.
  • agalum
    Seems like DeBruhl was all about defense his freshman year. This year his offense is looking good.
  • Lizaggie
    I’m a soccer fan where there are not too many in and outs. I think to get a rhythm you can’t substitute early. Give the starters a chance.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I agree with you to the extent that it often takes players a bit of time to break a sweat and get in a rhythm. However, with good depth on the team this year, I think we'll see Les substituting liberally throughout the season. When a coach can go to the bench and keep fresh legs without a big drop off in talent on the floor for the whole game, that's a great thing to have.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I was outlast night so missed the game but just watched the replay. Nice win against a team that held LSU to 61 points. Finally started to see others, beside Pepper, hit some outside shots. Second half ball movement was very good, which coincided with Johnson’s foul trouble. I still like what TY brings to the offense, but he does need to work on getting the ball to the open players. A couple things that were brought up by Williams and Marsh: coaches really like Liose and they think it’s just a matter of time before he breaks out, and both Bora and Mani were injured in bike accidents (very Davis injuries). Seems like both will be back soon. Rocak gave us some decent mins last night. Marsh speculated that we might see Bora and Anigwe in the lineup together, depending on the competition. Williams likes our small lineup, with Pepper playing the 4 spot

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    There's some great ball movement by the Aggies in this highlights clip:

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!