• Toke69
    This is the opening game for both teams. The Aggies have never beaten the Golden Bears in 32 attempts and both teams are not expected to fare well in their respective conferences this season. Cal returns very little in the way of scoring threats as the leading returning player is 6' 7" guard Jalen Celestine who averaged only 7.5 ppg last year. Their other leading player is Lars Thiemann, a 7' 1" center. Cal ranked 331st in the nation in scoring offense and finished 12th in the Pac 12 with a 12-20 overall record. Nonetheless, it is not likely that UCD can overcome both the home atmosphere in Haas Pavilion as well as the size disadvantage. The game is likely to be available on the Pac-12 Network.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’ve got my tickets. Hoping that the summer European trip puts the Ags farther along in their development than the bears.
  • Lizaggie
    I think Robby Beasley and the other recruits will surprise this conference
  • BlueGoldAg
    I sure hope so. I'm excited to see how this team comes together.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Beasley is a proven D1 performer with some big game experience. He's a different type of player than what we lost in Manjon, but I'm sure Les will figure out how to use him, and Johnson, to fill the Ezra void.

Plus, it'll be nice to have more height up and down the lineup. We lost 6'8", 6'6", 5'11", 6'5", 6'6", and 6'3" (some transfers, some graduation), but added 6'7", 6'3", 6'3", 6'9", 6'7", 6'7", and 6'9". That'll probably give Les more flexibility in his lineups.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It would certainly kick start the season on a high note if we could upset Golden Bears. It's time to break that 32 game losing streak to Cal!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So I know it was just an exhibition game, and cal is brining in 6 new players and probably just wanted to try out a lot of different lineups, BUT….62-55 win against Chico is interesting. 11% shooting from deep is alarming. I know we have a lot of new players (I feel like this is the norm with the portal) too, but our summer trip should give us an early season advantage.

https://bearinsider.com/s/3363/cal-mens-basketball-tips-off-with-exhibition/3
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from Coach Les from the Enterprise article:

“When you lose guys either to graduation or the portal, you have to look at your roster and say here are the weaknesses, here are the gaps we need to fill. No one person is going to replace Ezra, but we feel we’ve brought in some people who are going to contribute right away.”

Division I transfers include 6-3 Ty Johnson from Loyola Chicago, 6-3 Robby Beasley III from Montana, 6-7 DeAndre Henry from Nevada and 6-9 Niko Rocak from UC Santa Barbara.

Other newcomers are 6-7 freshman Joaquin Strong from Playa Del Rey, 6-9 Jac Mani from Beverly Hills and 6-7 Sam Manu from College of San Mateo.

Noted Les, “We feel we have six guards who can really play, plus the leadership of this group is excellent, with Elijah and Christian at the head of that list. Kane Milling really started to come around at the end of last year and Ade Adebayo is great at playing multiple positions. Those four are a really solid foundation.”

“When you lose guys either to graduation or the portal, you have to look at your roster and say here are the weaknesses, here are the gaps we need to fill. No one person is going to replace Ezra, but we feel we’ve brought in some people who are going to contribute right away.”

Division I transfers include 6-3 Ty Johnson from Loyola Chicago, 6-3 Robby Beasley III from Montana, 6-7 DeAndre Henry from Nevada and 6-9 Niko Rocak from UC Santa Barbara.

Other newcomers are 6-7 freshman Joaquin Strong from Playa Del Rey, 6-9 Jac Mani from Beverly Hills and 6-7 Sam Manu from College of San Mateo.

Noted Les, “We feel we have six guards who can really play, plus the leadership of this group is excellent, with Elijah and Christian at the head of that list. Kane Milling really started to come around at the end of last year and Ade Adebayo is great at playing multiple positions. Those four are a really solid foundation.”

The Aggies played four games in Europe in August, a trip that the NCAA allows a team to take once every four years.

UCD went 4-0 on the tour, playing in Croatia, Italy and Bosnia.

“It was very good for us,” said the Aggie coach.

“We feel because of the trip we’re a little bit ahead of schedule. It really helped us as a team to travel together like that. It was the perfect complement to our summer workouts. In addition to working on our basketball skills, we really rely on the relationships we built during that trip.

“I feel that really good things are going to happen with this group. I like their willingness to be coached and ability to play an up-tempo pace on both ends of the floor. The work ethic and the practice ethic of this team is off the charts. Now it’s just a matter of doing it when the lights come on.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-new-faces-on-ucd-mens-squad/
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Cal favored by 6.5
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Game day! Looks like, from this picture, that Bora has a soft cast on his left hand.

• Oldbanduhalum
    And in case you want a sneak preview, here is the complete video of one of the summer exhibition games in Europe. For what it's worth, Bora started with Anigwe, Pepper, Beasley and Johnson. I only watched the first quarter, but one thing you can see for sure is that Les can be a lot more flexible with his lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88VAU71UHi4
  • agalum

Bora had that cast on at the El Macero BB event as well.
  • agalum
    Looks like the game is on the pac12 schedule for 8pm. Futo is offering a free trial if you dont have the pac12 network.
  • movielover
    From the Cal board:

"The following student-athletes are inactive for tonight's California men's basketball game against UC Davis.

#3 Jarred Hyder - Senior G
    #10 Josh Ragsdale - Frosh G
    #12 Jack McCloskey - Frosh G
    #32 Jalen Celestine - Junior G
    #33 DeJuan Clayton - Graduate Student - G
  • movielover
    KHTK has the Kings... what station has backup?
  • movielover
    15:22 - 12-10 Ags
  • agalum
    Pepper shining early.
  • agalum
    3 for 3 from downtown
  • movielover
    I don't have Pac 12 package... I am getting audio...am I missing a trick?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Both teams with a hot start: Cal 62% Ags 60% Great ball movement by the Aggies. Lots of speed!
  • MTBAggie
    What a great start!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!