• agalum
    I didn’t want to hijack the other thread that brought up Stanford. I know some of their alums who are calling for Shaws firing. He had been the winningest coach in Stanford history. The last few years the Cardinals have struggled. Does Stanford give him another year or show him the door?
  • DrMike
    i think they need to give him at least another year. before 2019, his worst season as 8-5. 2019 was 4-8 and this year is 3-9. that's a bad trend, but 8 solid to very good years buys him a little wiggle room.
  • 72Aggie
    A couple of bad years in the midst of all that has gone on over the last couple of seasons? Stanford isn't the SEC and it can't be easy to recruit there. They should keep him.

(This probably isn't a good year to start shopping for coaches. Can you compete with USC, Florida, LSU, etc. on the job market?)
  • DrMike
    supposedly USC Is getting Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma. That’s crazy
  • 72Aggie
    Heard that. Also saw a rumor the other day that Lane Kiffin might head back to USC. This is the craziest year I can recall for coaching rumors. Heck this has been a crazy couple of years for rumors of any kind. Thank goodness we don't talk politics here.

EDIT: The Lincoln Riley rumor seems to be that rare type of rumor - a true one.
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32737893/lincoln-riley-leaving-oklahoma-become-usc-head-football-coach-sources-say
  • 69aggie
    Well thank you Kevin blue. You were the golden boy for your time here and You left just in time. And You did not pick up the trash as you left. Now Rocko has to clean this old house up. Can he do it?
  • movielover
    Not sure about 10 year contracts.
  • 72Aggie
    Hot Seat Week 13: With the regular season over, will more jobs start opening up?
    Florida State, Miami and Stanford are next in line to potentially make a change.
    Here are the list of jobs that could open up with the regular season done, and are worth monitoring for college football fans going forward.
    David Shaw, Stanford
    It was another down season at Stanford for Shaw, who is starting to feel the pressure build after a successful run until recent seasons. The Cardinal have had resources and cache but recruiting has been an issue due to the school’s lofty academic standards. Unlike some of the other coaches on this list. Shaw has had some success early in his tenure. That might be enough to allow him to stick around through one more coaching cycle.

Justin Wilcox, California
    Cal is not in the business of competing for national championships in football every year but the program does have a baseline for success. Wilcox seemed to be on an upward trajectory after his first three seasons before plummeting to four wins over the last two seasons. The Bears can still get a win when they play USC next week, although that won’t get them to a bowl game. The only way Wilcox gets a reprieve is if the administration decides the COVID pandemic played a big hand in the team’s recent failures. Wilcox’s name has also been floated around for the Washington opening, so Cal’s decision could be made for them by a Pac-12 North rival.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/11/28/22805648/college-football-week-13-coaching-hot-seat-manny-diaz-david-shaw-mike-norvell-justin-wilcox
  • DrMike
    i think they need to give him at least another year. before 2019, his worst season as 8-5. 2019 was 4-8 and this year is 3-9. that's a bad trend, but 8 solid to very good years buys him a little wiggle room.
  • agalum
    Yeah, i agree on another year. The couple of alums I’ve spoke to are not so patient. I haven’t followed them very closely to understand what the issues have been the last few years. Injuries? Lack of a stud QB?
  • 72Aggie
    Next rumor: Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame for LSU.
  • DrMike
    they used to be dominate on the OL, and pounded teams into submission. The last few seasons they’ve ranked near the bottom of FCS in rushing. Add in the lack of a high quality QB, and the offense has really struggled
  • DrMike
    Fresno coach to Washington. Troy Taylor listed as possible replacement
  • agalum

That might be good for us. Taylor appears to be a very good coach.
  • CA Forever
    Wow, that would be quite the benefit for us if Taylor took the job.
  • 72Aggie
    I’ve had a secret wish list that Cal might drop Wilcox and hire Taylor. There was a rumor that UW would go after Wilcox. This may work.

Cal’s postponed game with USC throws a wrench in all of this. Schools changing coaches are on a new hurry up schedule with the December early signing date.

And on the subject of coaching hires there is a story that Kelly will get a ten year contract wort over $100 million!!!

A lot of that is probably private/donor money but you wonder how much of that is government money and how far that would go if applied to general education in Louisiana.

And Riley’s contract at USC is around $110 million including a $6 million home (which in LA county could be a modest fixer-upper,) and 24/7 access to a private jet. SC is probably still paying millions for civil litigation in a harassment case involving a campus health physician…and I believe at one time was paying three head football coaches - Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Helton.

But I digress…
  • cmt
    $110M for a coach but they'll still tell us they can't pay the players.
  • 72Aggie
    …above the table.
  • agalum
    My late father in law was the chief of police at USC for many years. He used to talk about all the perks that football players received. And the fact that the majority of them received a “certificate of attendance” instead of a degree. Hopefully that is different now. Regarding the coaches compensation, USC alumni are a very tight group and are generous with anything related to USC.
  • DrMike
    a lot of the chatter down there is a return of Jeff Tedford. Apparently he’s healthy and ready to get back to coaching
  • AggieFinn

OJ Simpson had "Stadium Watch" as a campus job. He'd show up once a week and see that the stadium was still there, and that was it.
  • DrMike
    Jake Haener, Fresno QB, enters the transfer portal. i would assume he will skip their bowl game. Likely to follow coach to Washington. Same Washington he left to go to Fresno.
  • AggieFinn
    Ha, how 'bout that
  • DrMike
    Tedford returns to Fresno.
  • 72Aggie
    ...and with the re-hire of Tedford, Haener withdrew from the transfer portal,
    (which makes you wonder why he entered it before knowing who the next coach would be, unless it was to go back to Washington,)
  • AggieFinn
    The Furd hasn't been relevant since when?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!