• movielover
    Bozeman Daily Chronicle: Montana State, Big Sky schools take unique approaches entering 2021 fall

By Colton Pool

"... UC Davis was 3-2 during the spring season, which was postponed from 2020 and shortened. Aggies head coach Dan Hawkins told the Chronicle the FCS playoff committee called his team multiple times with an offer to continue into the postseason, but UC Davis declined.

Hawkins felt his players had participated in too many games if they were to be fully ready for the fall. This fall was always the priority. Hawkins said this year’s squad will be “the best UC Davis football team in the history of UC Davis. There’s no question about that.”

“Sometimes you have to be the adult in the room,” he said, “and I thought it was great for their mental health to have some normalcy in the spring, but also understanding what looms in the fall and what that takes.”

Hawkins noted a few players are nicked up but believes none will miss significant time. He lauded his strength and conditioning staff for contributing to that result.

“To be a heavyweight boxer,” Hawkins said, “you have to be able to trade blows in the 12th round or you’re not going to make it.”

And now, the Aggies feel they’re faster and stronger because of the spring season. They accomplished what they sought to during the spring, UC Davis offensive lineman Connor Pettek said. If his teammates were feeling beaten up or if injuries had sidelined several players, he admitted he might have changed his mindset.

“I feel like I’m ready for this fall season,” Aggies defensive back Jordan Perryman said. “The spring I saw as an opportunity to get better. So we all went out there, competed a little bit and it’s not like we wasted time out there. I feel like we’ll be ready.”

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sports/bobcats/football/montana-state-big-sky-schools-take-unique-approaches-entering-2021-fall/article_a71c61c0-4335-5b80-8a4c-b6025cda21a2.html
  • Riveraggie
    This article has number of coaches justifying whatever their schools policy was. With the exception of the teams that made late coaching changes, and were not ready to play like CalPoly, I think not playing in the spring was missing a great opportunity to improve.
    Apparently Hawkins feels we made some progress this spring because I don’t think he would have said this is our best team ever without seeing what we had on the field this spring.
  • movielover
    Agreed. Interesting that we apparently had a playoff invite.

Big assertion by Hawk, so I'm guessing maybe he purposefully limited our Offense in anticipation of this Fall? Get some work in and limit injury exposure. Big claim given recent Maier & Doss combo. Deepest RB depth we've ever had?
  • Riveraggie
    We’ve certainly had two good running backs before. I think it’s an overall assessment, where we’ve got pretty good depth at all positions. Biggest defensive line we’ve ever had for example. The question is how good we’ll be at QB. Lots of good receivers, veteran line, no excuse if we can’t move the ball in a balanced way.
  • movielover
    With Dixon, 3 deep at RB, not counting Magic.
  • 69aggie
    Mind you, this is coming from a staunch Hawk supporter, but I am a little shocked by the “best ever Aggie team” comment he allegedly made to that Montana newspaper. Even if true (and I dearly hope it it’s) isn’t this the stuff that get posted up on the opponents notice board to hype up their team? Coming off 3-2 this Spring, this comment is very un-Hawk like IMHO. I hope he denies it. Much better: “one of the better Aggie teams” ever. But, maybe I am just a worry wort.
  • movielover
    Not a Sochor downplay.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think the thought of the best Aggie team ever is going to impress the opposing teams, especially the out of state ones who we haven’t beaten for years. What’s it mean to them? They don’t remember a great Aggie team.
    If Hawkins thinks it’s true then he needs to get the players to believe it. The expectation of winning is a big factor in sports.
  • elfan

This is the best roster the school has had and its not close. Still need to find the right fit at QB.
  • 69aggie
    Elf. I Don’t mean to be contrarian, but how is this the best roster ever without a named starting quarterback? Sorry. Never seen it happen before. Hope i am wrong!
  • Riveraggie
    In addition to the fact we’ve seen some talent from our QBs, I think that the team hasn’t gone searching for a transfer as is typically done by other teams in our league is indicative that Hawkins and company are comfortable with what they have. I think the “best UC Davis football team” comment reflects belief in the QBs. Time will tell.
  • cmt
    Yeah, that's a pretty bold statement considering the 2018 was one drive away from hosting an FCS Semifinal game.

That being said, I hope he's right.
  • DrMike
    I think this is a challenge to the team, trying to reestablish a bit of an attitude. That seemed to be the theme of spring football where we ran the ball ALOT, and tried to be a more physical football team
  • agalum
    Hawkins has said something similar in the past. It might have been at one of the recruitment parties. But I’m surprised he said it to the Bozeman newspaper. Could it be related to trolling for preseason poll ratings? In the past polls never seemed to get his attention, at least publicly. But having national notoriety has to have merit.
  • movielover
    Definitely a top 5 team.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!