• 72Aggie
    California considering transforming Humboldt State into a third Cal Poly designated campus.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article251588818.html
  • 69aggie
    Cal Poly cant be really excited about this. Maybe Humboldt goes D1 next? Great school. Cousin went there and had a great career with the forest service afterwards.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think this is a great proposal and it would really help boost the economy in the area.
  • 72Aggie
    Cal Poly Humboldt could stay in D-2 and the California Collegiate Athletic Association with Cal Poly Pomona.....

The Humboldt area is known for its work in non-traditional agicultural crops.
  • 69aggie
    But, they had a great football tradition. Beat us. When? DR. only D1 will get them there again. Hey when you go, you go BIG!
  • 72Aggie
    I think the 'Jacks ended a conference winning streak in the Sochor era.

I feel sorry for Humboldt athletics. They used to be a very good team. Football players got decent summer jobs in the lumber industry which was also a nice conditioning program. Travel had to kill them, particularly as small college football dried up around them. In the NCAC days the Ags left on Fridays, practiced in, I think, Willits and spent the night somewhere on the way. Played Saturday afternoon or evening and then the long bus trip back to Davis. I recall reading a few years ago about a Humboldt footbal team traveling by bus to play some D-III or NAIA team in one of the Big Sky states. That has to be brutal. I think they are still in the CCAA. Imagine the bus trips to play LA State, Dominguez Hills, Cal Poly Pomona, Cal State San Bernardino....and for those schools to head north to play Humboldt and Chico.
  • Goags20172
    Yes, the Lumberjacks are still in the CCAA, but not for all sports (no baseball team).

Going to the CCAA site I saw UCSD men's basketball went 30-1 in 2019-20 ! Both the men's and women's teams won conference titles. Well, that UCD loss stings a little less now...
  • DrMike
    the Jacks beat us in 81 on a last second FG ending a long 38-game FWC winning streak. Trip was brutal. Only highlight was Friday night dinner at the Samoa Cookhouse! I can’t remember where we did our Friday walkthrough.

On the way home from that game, coaches drove home in a van leaving us with the trainers. Some of us pooled our meal money ($6, 2 days at $3 per, paid in a two dollar bill and Susan B Anthony silver dollar) to buy a lot of cheap beer for the ride home. We told trainers Sochor okayed it. Great plan….except no bathroom on bus for LONG ride home. Had to get the driver to pull over along 101 for a team pee.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Samoa Cookhouse was definitely a highlight of the annual Humboldt trips.
  • BlueGoldAg
    :lol: You guys must have pounded quite a few beers. Those 20 year old bladders can hold a lot...not so much once you hit the Golden Years!
  • movielover
    I had the Lumberjack breakfast once... what was the dinner like?

I recall a lot of trees, fog, and natural women.
  • DrMike
    big slabs of meat (Flintstonian) lots of baked potatoes and sourdough bread. Family style dining.
  • Goags20172
    They must have been really hard-hit by the pandemic considering their operating model depends on large groups of people congregating indoors. Still open though.

Read some interesting history on the Samoa Cookhouse, like how for many years it was just for workers in the lumber industry and how the servers all had to live upstairs in dormitories and remain single.
  • 72Aggie
    A follow up article from the Bee on Humboldt's plans:
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article252517963.html

This will be ripe for comment:

"As part of the university’s push for a polytechnic designation, Humboldt State announced proposals for the addition of several new degree programs, including ..., Cannabis Studies, ...."
  • DrMike
    Aggie football Hall of famer, Robby Flannery, recieved a plant science PhD a few years back specializing in Cannabis Cultivation. Apparently, the first PhD of that type.

i wonder what kind of degree the hillbillies up near my cabin in Calaveras County are using in their production?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Probably a failed GED...
  • agalum
    Maybe the money to be made is in innovative fertilizer and irrigation supplies, thus the need for education?
  • movielover
    How far we've come, promoting a drug that can reduce a teenager's IQ by up to 10% (changing 4 areas of the brain) and also proven to affect word recall (duh). (Spicoli?)
  • 72Aggie
    We have to be careful where we throw stones from the security of our wine cellar....
  • movielover
    Noted. But I don't think teens are drinking old vine Zin.
  • fugawe09
    I doubt that a proposed cannabis major would promote irresponsible use of weed any more than the beer and wine professors at Davis would suggest you get hammered on Natural Ice and Franzia every Thursday thru Sunday. Since weed demand isn’t going away, it seems reasonable to invest in at least shrinking its environmental impact.
  • movielover
    I'm told rat poison & other nasty chemicals are used on public lands and pollute our waterways. Land area too vast, and employees too lethargic or unmotivated to root it out.
  • fugawe09
    I’ve heard the same. I’m not an expert on the business but I’d assume the illegitimate operations will pop up as fast they are swatted until sanctioned commercial growers become efficient enough to beat them on price, quality, and consistency.
  • agalum

Unfortunately the legal operations get muscled by the cartel/mafia. It’s a huge mess that exploded once it was legalized. I have a relative who is on the LE side of the issue. Hearing the way money and weed, both legal and illegal, is intermingled is mind blowing. I’m not sure if any of this was anticipated, but that’s what we’re dealing with.
  • fugawe09
    well then I suppose there are no easy answers. Organized crime is also involved the ice cream bar, tide pod, and diaper businesses, so I guess we can’t have anything nice. At any rate, if they’re going to have a cannabis major, hopefully they got a food science department too. Could make for a fun bake sale.
  • movielover
    The person I knew in a LE related position helped make large & small busts. A bust he helped lead was right under everyone's nose, and made him wonder how many were paid to look away, or worse. Larger grow ran by a few illegal immigrants out in the forests, and possibly threatened / coerced by the MM.
  • movielover
    Wow. 30 grow sites ...
  • 72Aggie
    It’s official. Humboldt State or CSU Humboldt is now Cal Poly Humboldt.
    https://www.humboldt.edu/
  • Jackbacker
    This is great news for the state. You could always get a great science degree from HSU. The funding will help the STEM programs grow and the new naming will attract more students. This will help the communities of Northern CA! It has always been hard to make a living off scenery for the local towns.
  • movielover
    Enrollment will double in 7 years.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!