• Toke69
    I hope someone with better inside information than me can post the time when it is scheduled or if the game will be played at all, given that it will be in Yolo County. If the games are played, they will be a real test since the Gauchos are 6-2 in the Big West so far with their only losses both to UC Irvine. UCSB is led by senior guard, JaQuori McLaughlin who is averaging 16.9 points per game and Aggies nemesis Amadou Sow who is averaging 9.2 rebounds per away game. Can't say that I rate our heroes chances of a single win as very high if they even get to play, but the Ags are still a bit of an unknown quantity given their long layoff and the odd visit to La Jolla.
  • DrMike
    women hosted last weekend so we’re okay. Schedule shows 4:00. I think they are trying for early starts so teams can leave after the Saturday game and minimize travel costs (and time spent in hotels)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    As much as I want the Ags to win every game, the realistic side of me is just looking for modest games each week, especially on the defensive end. Last Saturday was better than Friday, and as pointed out, this weeks games against UCSB will be particularly challenging. But hopefully we start to consistently see better rotation on defense and comfort with roles on offense. If we can see that each game out, then we should be able to compete well in Vegas at the BW tourney.
  • Gauchofreg
    Hey Aggie fans, looking forward to the games this weekend. Tough haul for you guys with the most restrictive county in the country handcuffing your teams. Glad you're finally free.
    Of note, in each of the three years since Pasternack has taken over the Gauchos, Davis and UCSB have split the series, with Davis winning second each time.
    Pasternack is running a deeper bench since the initial weekend sweep at Irvine and that has helped in the second games of these back-to-backs.
    Gauchos are having a good season, they have the leading POY candidate in Jaquori McLaughlin who is having, in my opinion, the best all-around season for a Gaucho since Orlando Johnson about 10 years ago. I am predicting a sweep but am leery of Les's ability to get his team's to adjust. If the Gauchos do win the first one, I expect the second one to be closer.

From a Gaucho perspective, we're rooting for Gaucho wins of course but we would love to see BJ Shaw, son of Gaucho great Brian Shaw, play well too.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Hey Freg. I always look forward to the UCSB games. I'd like to think that this weekend should be good contests, but with no crowd and such a long layoff, my expectations are very modest. I'm just hoping that we look better than we did last week. We didn't go very deep with our bigs (Koehler and Anigwe were the only ones that got any serious time), so I'm a little curious if Hogland, Murphy and McGill get some time. As for Shaw, he is getting some consistent minutes off the bench. He's super athletic and has a good feel on the defensive side, but he does struggle on offense. We'll probably see a variety of players trying to guard McLaughlin, including Shaw. Of course we switched on every one last week so it'll be interesting to see how Les goes about it this week.

Good luck watching the game on our stream. It can be a little shaky at times.
  • agalum
    Can’t buy a bucket
  • Toke69
    I have never seen such an appalling display of poor shooting.
  • DrMike
    We got hot at the end to get to almost 20% shooting!

Manjon hasn’t looked like himself since the layoff
  • BlueGoldAg
    6-32 shooting. We didn't make a basket in the first 10 minutes of the game. Every shot was rushed and awkward. No one had any rhythm or confidence even when they had an open look. Oh well, can't get much worse in the second half...
  • Toke69
    Is it rust? Gauchos aren't playing tremendous defense.
  • MTBAggie
    Defense is starting to look a lot better.
  • agalum
    Sloppy play. But Gauchos forcing some of that. Gauchos look formidable.
  • Toke69
    Pasternack is a good coach. As soon as he saw his team getting sloppy, he called a timeout and the Ag rally faded.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags fall 72-51. We played much better in the second half but dug ourselves too big a hole in the first half. Our interior defense was really lacking and we gave up 42 points in the paint. Hope we can at least make a game of it tomorrow.
  • DrMike
    Gauchos had 13 games under their belt coming in, 6 tough league games. The layoff has this group in a real hole especially against a good team like this
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we'll play better tomorrow. We just can't get down 20 in the first half and have a chance to come back against a team like the Gauchos. I liked our offensive flow in the second half but we'll need to be able slow down their penetration and easy buckets.
  • Toke69
    Aggies are now 12-32 all time against UCSB and if that's not bad enough, they are 6-15 at Davis, by far the worst home record against Big West teams. For a while I thought the Gauchos would better their biggest victory which was the 90-43 pounding back in 2012. Glad the Aggies came back strong showing some grit. I don't see them recording a W tomorrow.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Agree a “W” today is not that likely. Looking to see a more consistent effort throughout the game. Anyone know why Fueller didn’t play? I saw him on the “bench” so it didn’t look like too big an injury. We could use his offense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd like to see us get off to a better start. We can't go 3 for 26 and trail by 20 against a team like the Gauchos to start the game like were did in the first game. We cut their lead to 12 in the second half and had a chance to get it down to single digits. We could make a game of it if we can stay within 10 going into the second half.
  • DrMike
    Shaking things up with Shaw and Ba starting; off to a 10-3 lead after 4
  • Toke69
    Ags offense started off hot. They had almost as many points after only 5+ minutes as they did for the whole first half yesterday.
  • Toke69
    Aggies are playing very aggressively on defense and they have the fouls to show it. The good news is that Manjon seems to showing signs of the kind of play that made him a standout last year. Koehler is 3/3 from 3. Where did that come from?
  • DrMike
    Manjon is just 2-10 from the field. Doing a good job of playing aggressive and finding open men. If we can get him out of this shooting slump, good things are going to happen
  • movielover
    Down 50 - 43?
  • DrMike
    Ucsb is shooting 70% this half
  • Toke69
    I'm just glad I'm on blood pressure medication cause games like this are not good for me. The Ags deserved to win it, but I have to think they are still not at 100% of mid-season form, especially Manjon who made a solid effort in the second half and OT, finishing 6/11 after a slow start. So, UCD is now 0-3 officially in the Big West and are certainly not a last place team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Today's game was like night and day from yesterday's blowout loss. Les had his players playing hard defense and the ball movement on offense was much, much better. We were 24 of 29 from the line but missed 3 big FT's at crunch time. Big step forward today for this team.
  • agalum
    End of regulation, 2 missed free throws. Make those and they would have won. Got home just in time to catch last 2 minutes of regulation and OT. Wish i could have watched the entire game.
  • DrMike
    I missed the last two minutes of regulation and OT. Sounds like we let it slip away
  • DrMike
    I noticed no Fuller in the box score. Wasn’t there Friday either. Any insight? Abedayo is still out from last week,apparently
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Koehler missed two free throws down the stretch that might have sealed the game in regulation. In OT UCSB came out more aggressive but the ags fought back. It basically came down to UCSB executing just a bit better. Overall I’m really pleased with the way the Ags played Saturday. If we can build on that, and get some folks healthy, we should cause some problems for teams in Vegas. As for Fueller he dressed but didn’t warm up so there is something going on. He did walk around on the bench so I’m hoping it’s not too big. I didn’t see Hogland dressed so that’s obviously not good. And Marsh said that Adebayo’s eye injury from last week is still hurting him.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!