• BlueGoldAg
    Are the players being given another year of eligibility?
  • DrMike
    I haven’t heard that and I can’t find anything specific to the spring season. Can’t see how they can but who knows.
  • blueforce
    Yes, they are. Tough scenario for funding extra scholarships but Flushman will make it happen.
  • NCagalum
    I think the majority of football players at Davis realize they are not going pro and would complete their degrees in 5 years (redshirt year included). So unless they want to stay around for graduate school and still play-I don’t see a lot of logic in another year of eligibility. If those slots are taken, seems like you are mortgaging against the incoming freshman cohort in future years. If this is the situation across all FCS then it seems reasonable- but others have already played this fall and likely will have more than a 6 game season. If you are putting all your chips in for fall 2021 it might make sense, but I still think it’s not the best way to go (allowing another year) at this level.
  • blueforce
    the NCAA decided to grant all 2020 Fall athletes a 5th year of eligibility, regardless of whether they play in 2020 or not (in addition to redshirt). They also determined that their scholarships won't count against scholarship limits. So essentially we'll have an extra scholarship allowance trailing for the next 4 years (above the current 63).

I guess that raises two further questions: (1) how do we budget for the extra scholarships and (2) will they waive team size limits, similar to the scholarship limits?

I imagine that guys who don't get meaningful playing time will probably call it quits when they graduate. And those who are meaningful contributors will be pumped to get 1-2 years of free grad school. It will probably all work itself out without roster cuts or "mortgaging" our future freshman cohorts.
  • NewGuy
    I don't think UC Davis funds grad school. Not sure any California State University (UC or CSU) funds graduate studies.
  • Fiat Lux
    Our schedule just came out. Montana state, EWU, and Weber st all at home. Travel to Cal Poly, Idaho State and Portland State. Pretty awesome schedule for us IMO.

https://twitter.com/dhspunter/status/1324041589858082817?s=21
  • Zander
    funds as in no athletic scholarships for it, or no aid of any kind?

Speaking from experience I definitely got grants and scholarships from SDSU for my MBA. I don't see why an athlete at say Cal Poly wouldn't have a similar eligibility if they were also a full time masters student, regardless of sports.
  • Zander
    Exciting schedule, but also kinda terrifying. Three (possibly) top-25 teams with maybe even two of them being top 10. Play at our level from last year and that's a 3-3 record, yikes
  • DrMike
    Coaches feel very good about this group; this schedule, especially the home games, will test that!
  • NewGuy
    I was speaking of funding via (no) athletic scholarships - in response to the 1-2 years free grad school assertion.
  • AggieFinn
    FUTURE SCHEDULES IS UPDATED WITH SPRING SIX GAME COVID-19 SEASON

ROAD TRIPPING TO PORTLAND STATE -- ARE FANS EVEN ALLOWED?

WHAT IS THE HOME GAME POLICY?
  • DrMike
    I highly doubt visitors will be allowed. Announcement says they will be contacting season ticket holders soon. I think home attendance is TBD.
  • Zander
    Ah, Makes sense.
    That being said, depending on the program a single, full-time grad student can be eligible for a LOT of federal aid at the grad school level. So I'm wondering if in effect the team gets the equivalent of having a player on a partial without it counting against the limit.
  • movielover
    Hair cuts, restaurants, massages ok ... but not outdoor spectating? :chin:

Maybe sanity and 25% occupancy arrives by February?
  • DrMike
    I plan to take a 3 hour walk around the brim of the stadium if it’s not open by then!
  • AggieFinn

Sounds like a typical September home game to me!
  • Goags20172
    At least you can get a good look at UC Davis Health Stadium walking around. Not true at this place I visited over the weekend. It's so obscured it reminds me of those final dungeons in video games that you can see but can't enter until you have a flying ship or a Pegasus or some crap like that. As far as getting to watch a game in person as an everyman you might have to find a Pegasus.

The idea that no fans can attend these things is crap. If you have the right connections or have a compelling enough story you can get in. I remember seeing on ESPN during the regular season some MLB team let in a terminally ill fan and he wasn't even stashed in a discreet suite somewhere- right out in the open. So they were willing to risk him dying of COVID-19 quickly instead of whatever timetable he was on. So make new friends with connections.

ot5k24i87upd1jq3.jpg
    pd3fl7ekq08uomae.jpg
    xw1griuvqbrx1rfy.jpg
  • fugawe09
    , @NewGuy Interesting points on grad school but perhaps two key assumptions would be that a particular player would be accepted to a grad program (some have precious few competitive seats) and that the student would still have time for football on the side. I don't know how a football time commitment looks compared to being a TA, but I don't remember feeling like I had a lot of spare time my first year of grad school.
  • DrMike
    I know there are some schools like UCLA who are really against the grad transfer rule because they can’t get people into grad programs easily nor can they have players balance grad school with football. I don’t like the rule
  • nfehT
    just wait until the one time transfer rule goes live.
  • fugawe09
    I went to grad school in the south, where administrators kind of check their academic ethics at the door for P5 football. In some of my grad classes, we had a football player who had too many credits to be an undergrad. It was an open secret that the department had not "accepted" him, but it was some deal between the AD and provost, and the professors were obligated to give him a negotiated B- for work clearly done by his eye-candy personal tutor. He disappeared after football season (which amounted to a losing record unable to clinch even an obscure bowl game). A waste of state money for sure. But he also presumably filled a seat that someone qualified and interested may have been turned down for.
  • AggieFinn
    I think it's 50/50 we play this season at all...
  • DrMike
    I think we’re supposed to start ‘walk throughs’ in about a week and full practice on the 25th (if memory serves). I assume we can start the non-contact stuff now, so the question is will they lift the contact ban in two weeks
  • 69aggie
    Sonoma county just extended its lockdown “indefinitely”. It has very similar stats to Yolo and a similarly minded CHO. I would expect Yolo will follow suit. More likely to affect MBB and WBB than football due to being an inside sport.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!