• agalum
    And goodbye spring sports:

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/3/12/general-uc-davis-suspends-2020-spring-sports.aspx

DAVIS, Calif. -- In conjunction with the Big West Conference announcement, UC Davis Department of Intercollegiate Athletics announced that it will suspend indefinitely all remaining winter and spring competition, effective immediately. “
  • BlueGoldAg
    Damn...but it has to be done to try and control this thing...I feel sorry for all the athletes and coaches that have worked so hard and, for some athletes, they have already played their last game in an Aggie uniform...heartbreaking news...
  • agalum

Yes it really is lousy news. But finally our beloved campus is getting proactive on this issue. I personally have been very disappointed in what I’ve seen coming out of the chancellor’s office. With our UCDMC playing a leading role worldwide on this pandemic our chancellor’s office has been a day late and a dollar short repeatedly.
  • 69aggie
    Disagree
  • Goags20172
    Well, they didn't come out and say exactly that all remaining regular season games are cancelled, but if the situation doesn't improve drastically by mid- April I could see the last of the spring sports pack it up for the year. What's the point- no post- season ?

My question would be if athletes not deep into their seasons (baseball mainly) would be eligible for the equivalent of a medical redshirt.

Shutting the season down would most directly benefit UCD Baseball. It would finish with its first winning record since 2015. And I believe no Big West team has played a conference game yet so everyone is tied for first place. 2020 Big West Baseball Co- Champions. Print the t- shirts !

Maybe UCD baseball should celebrate by wearing those t- shirts + make a You Tube Video with a Queen parody. "We are the Co- Champions". They did that 'Sexy and I Know it" video a few years ago.
  • DrMike
    I hope this is a suspension and they’ll get back to it at some point soon. I wonder if they practice?
  • 69aggie
    This situation is so unprecedented that it is hard to get your head around it. Just in terms of eligibility, are all the spring sports athletes going to get a medical redshirt? It would seem only fair. NCAA needs to get on top of this issue fast so the kids can plan for their futures. Also hard to imagine how the big conferences that so depend on the March Madness money will do to replace this lost revenue.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This Covid 19 crisis has turned everything upside down. I'm wondering how this thing is going to affect our current recruiting also: travel restrictions for coaches, potential recruits not being able to make visits, current players in some sports not knowing how the NCAA cancellations are going to affect their remaining eligibility etc.
  • movielover
    My guess is first we get through it. Our Surgeon General today said "Lean into it." Hoping the dramatic CDC estimates are wrong.

Then I suggest a May or June Madness when we know we're out of the woods. (May Picnic Day?) Hotels, vendors, folks need to get back to work, and I think it would be a fabulous way to celebrate & cap off student-athlete's careers.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good news for NCAA baseball players:

• DrMike
    I was wondering how this would effect incoming players. Coaches recruit x number of players to replace Y number of graduates. Makes sense they would raise the limit for a year.

Why do I think that the Sac QB will get another year of eligibility out of this?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!